TIPS FOR SUPPORTING LOCAL BUSINESSES
- When ordering take-out or delivery, support local restaurants
- Call restaurants directly to place orders or use delivery apps which have waived restaurant fees
- Delivery apps are postponing delivery fees, but will still collect them eventually: Uber Eats, Grubhub
- Buy gift cards, ideally online, at your favorite local shops
- If you have time to catch up on reading, order books online from your local bookstore instead of from Amazon
- Shop online at local retailers
- Buy local produce when possible and support local grocery stores, instead of waiting on long lines at the big chains
- Offer your skills to your small business neighbors. Are you a website developer, a lawyer, a business consultant? An in-kind donation of your expertise would be extremely helpful to many businesses.
- Connect with your community! Find out what businesses need and bring your friends and neighbors together (virtually) to help them out.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
If you have a business:
FEMA: If you or your organization is interested in helping the effort to combat the spread of COVID-19, FEMA has established a website (www.fema.gov/coronavirus/how-to-help) with more information. Examples for the private sector include: To sell medical supplies or equipment to the federal government, please email specifics to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have medical supplies or equipment to donate, please provide details on what you are offering. If you are a private company that wants to produce a product related to the COVID response – email email@example.com. For non-medical supplies, services or equipment, if you are interested in doing business with FEMA, visit their Industry Liaison Program: https://www.fema.gov/industry-liaison-program
NYC EDC: The New York City Economic Development Corporation is seeking businesses with the ability to quickly source and/or make needed medical supplies (e.g. face shields, gowns, ventilators, masks, and other products as needed) to support the City’s COVID-19 response. More information HERE.
As an individual:
Click HERE for City&State’s list of the 5 top ways that New Yorkers can help eachother through the pandemic.
RESOURCES FOR EVERYONE ON COVID-19:
Get the latest information and updates on COVID-19 from the NYC Department of Health. To receive real-time New York City COVID-19 updates, text “COVID” to 692-692.