Greetings North Flatbush Avenue businesses with bikers:
First, we would like to thank you for being a contributing member business to our community. During the last few months we have grown increasingly dependent on businesses like yours in feeding many families when times were uncertain. We thank you and your staff for providing this much needed service.
With your continued support and deliveries increasing, we need to address some serious community concern–Food delivery safety and best practices. Please begin by reviewing this website for New York City Department of Transportation guidance on commercial biking: https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/bicyclists/commercial-cyclists.shtml
Included there are links with English, Spanish and Chinese translations
🚴Very important, we want to stress the importance of delivery riders to:
- Yield to pedestrians
- Stop at all red lights and stop signs
- Ride in the direction of traffic
- Do not wear more than one earphone while riding
- Use a white headlight and red taillight at night
And most importantly,
Stay off the sidewalk!
This issue has been brought to our attention on a number of occasions and most recently due to the increase in neighbors and pedestrians on our sidewalks either passing through or waiting for service from neighboring businesses. Please don’t be the one to cause an avoidable collision or injury. We encourage you to also monitor the delivery services you may use and address reckless behavior. If issues continue, we will be forced to take additional actions to ensure the safety of our district and our neighbors.
We would like to continue supporting your business with these free resources to protect your bicycle delivery staff and property:
- Please join us in supporting our local delivery teams and invite them to join us at BYKlyn Studio-258 Flatbush Avenue for a free helmet giveaway:
Monday, 8/17, 2:30-3:30pm, Thursday, 8/20, 9:30-10:30am
- Also, we will join the NYPD 78th Precinct Crime Prevention team at Dean Street and Flatbush for a bicycle registration to assist in retrieving property if stolen: Date and location TBD
- Encourage staff members to view a brief video for more safety practices, sign up here: shorturl.at/pzRU3
Businesses that use bicycles for commercial purposes must post the commercial bicyclist safety poster where commercial bicyclists will easily see it and in languages that they understand. There are also number of versions in languages you may find useful.
🚴Commercial Cyclists must comply with the following requirements:
- Wear retroreflective upper body apparel with the business’ name and bicyclist’s 3-digit ID number on the back in lettering at least 1 inch high.
- Wear a bicycle helmet in good condition.
- Carry a business ID card at all times when riding on behalf of the business, which includes the information below: NAME: ADDRESS: PHONE: NAME: 3-DIGIT ID #
🚴Additionally, Business owners who employ commercial bicyclists must equip commercial bicycles with the following, in addition to the items required above:
- A bell or other audible device
- White headlight and red taillight
- Reflex reflectors
- Metal or plastic sign in good condition at least 3 inches by 5 inches with the business’ name and a unique bicycle ID number for each bicycle in lettering at least 1 inch high. The sign must be affixed to the rear or both sides of the bicycle.
As always, we strive to be your community partner in success. Please reach out to our office with any comments or questions:
The North Flatbush Avenue BID team